Position Posting – Chief of Security
Rank – Captain
Southside Regional Jail Authority Emporia, Va.
Position Closing – April 3, 2020
Salary Range – $53,858 – $77,831
Southside Regional Jail is currently accepting applications for the position of Captain. The Chief of Security/Captain is responsible for the overall security/operation of the secure areas of the facility. He/she is also responsible for overseeing the four (4) Shift Commanders and their shifts to ensure compliance with the Policy and Procedures of the Southside Regional Jail Authority. This position is designated as non-essential personnel, but may be required to work, regardless of adverse weather conditions, if needed. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Chief of Operations/Major, or higher ranking personnel.
Typical Tasks (Include but not limited to):
- Assists in ensuring that jail staff certifications are current and documented;
- Disciplines employees, as needed, following the Southside Regional Jail Authority’s policies and procedures;
- Confers with law enforcement agencies, police officials, the Courts, Commonwealth Attorney, and other city and county departments in matters relating to inmates and the facility;
- Conducts inspections of the facility on a regular basis
- Provides regular briefings to the Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, and Chief of Operations on facility security and operations;
- Manages the Work Release program;
- Establishes and maintains appropriate records and files;
- Any duties as assigned by higher authority
- Ensures all security documentation is complete and maintained;
- Ensures the proper housing of inmates based on their Objective Jail Classification
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Certified Jail Officer with at least 3 years’ experience at a supervisory level
- Valid Virginia driver’s license
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must maintain DCJS certification as a jail Officer in the state of Virginia
- Must reside within 30 miles of the facility (will be allowed up to 90 days to relocate after the start date of the position).
- Must maintain an operational telephone for emergency contact
- Must be able to respond in a timely manner during emergencies at the Southside Regional Jail facility;
- No pending criminal charges.
Interested applicants may submit a completed application (can be located on the SRJA website), attention Linda Clements, no later than 1600 April 3, 2020. A resume alone WIL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Thank you
Download the Captain Posting-SRJA announcement.