Position Posting – Administrative Assistant
Southside Regional Jail Authority Emporia, Va.
Position Closing – August 28, 2020
Salary Range – $36,900 – $53,325
Southside Regional Jail is currently accepting applications for the position of Administrative Assistant.
The Administrative Assistant performs difficult, skilled clerical and administrative work requiring a proficient typist. The Administrative Assistant is responsible for performing a variety of skilled work including organizing files, creating correspondence, preparing reports, documents and setting up meetings as well as making travel arrangements for staff. The Administrative Assistant serves as the Human Resources Manager handling employee files and information that are sensitive in nature. This position performs duties under the regular supervision of the Superintendent and/or the Assistant Superintendent. Supervision may be exercised over subordinate clerical personnel.
Required Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
Typical Tasks: (Include, but not limited to)
- Computer skills including proficiency in a Windows environment which includes Microsoft Office, Excel and PowerPoint. As well as the ability to use drop down menus, point and click software, multiple screens and the ability to enter data accurately.
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software to complete assigned clerical tasks.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic accounting and mathematics.
- Assists in the preparation and monitoring of the annual budget.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Follow oral and written instructions and follow through on assignments as directed.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on sensitive matters.
- Ability to communicate in a pleasant, non-judgmental, respectful, culturally sensitive manner under varying levels of stress (this may include high levels of noise, limited resources, etc.).
- Demonstrate customer service skills – in person and via telephone (discretion, patience, etiquette and professionalism.
- Prepare minutes of Authority Board meetings.
- Maintains inventory of office supplies and equipment.
- Handles all new personnel orientation in regards to payroll, VRS, insurance, etc.
- Acts as the jail financial liaison with the Greensville County fiscal agent.
- Possess functional knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Ability to work independently and in an organized manner.
- Ability to handle difficult interpersonal interactions with discretion and diplomacy.
- Valid Virginia driver’s license
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must maintain an operational telephone for emergency contact
- No pending criminal charges
- High School diploma or equivalent, Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
Interested applicants may submit a completed application (can be located on the SRJA website), attention Major Anthony Johnson or Lt. Col. Aretha Pegram, no later than August 28, 2020.
A resume alone WIL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Download a copy of the announcement: SRJA Admin. Assistant