To coordinate, control and direct the movement of prisoners. Jail officers’ intake, process, transport, and provide for the safety and security of inmates, staff members and the community. Officers may be assigned other duties specific to specialized areas of the jail as well.
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent
- Must be 18 years of age
- Possess a valid Virginia or North Carolina driver’s license
- Have the ability to pass a physical examination and drug screening
- Have the ability to pass an extensive criminal history, background check
- Must complete special training as required by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services, including use of firearms, first aid, chemical and electronic weapons systems, within twelve months of hire date
- Must maintain a telephone in residence for emergency contact
- Must be willing to be in an on-call status
- The majority of positions will be shift work, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. or 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. (5:30 Briefing)
- Questions can be forwarded to Ms. Rhonda Fitchett at (434) 949-6700 ext. 211.